I can’t pinpoint the exact day, but at some point last year, I put my heels on the shelf and didn’t bring them out again, except for the occasional fancy-dress party. Flats have been my first choice for everyday, no matter the outfit. They make getting around the city a whole lot more comfortable, and I find myself with far fewer blisters at the end of the day. Lucky for me, footwear’s finest designers are feeding my flats fascination with styles that are every bit as cool as the skyscrapingest stiletto.
So, in honor of my shoe conversion, I’ve rounded up 10 reasons flats flat-out rule:
1. Sometimes you have to actually get where you’re going fast. Heels do not oblige.
Sporty DKNY sneakers.
2. The little-bit-prep/little-bit-punk trend made famous in the ’90s (ahem, My So-Called Life) is so much better with flats.
A couple of ’90s fashion looks.
3. Birkenstocks are back in the fashion vernacular. And there’s not an ounce of irony in that statement.
Lily Aldridge and Chanel Iman in the Shopbop + Born Free collection and Birkenstock sandals.
4. Strappy sandals with a so-thin sole will not cut into your feet the way their stiletto counterparts do.
Paul Andrew sandals.
5. You can buy the same style in multiple colors and not feel guilty about it. (I’m looking at you, Superga and Havaianas.)
Pedro Garcia sneakers.
6. These two looks. Casual perfection.
A.L.C. outfits with Jenni Kayne loafers and Vince sneakers.
7. Slide sneakers in every print imaginable. ’Nuff said.
Mother of Pearl sneakers.
8. Norman approves.
9. Norman’s down with these too. Also, running sneaks are now acceptable to wear off the treadmill.
10. These sandals. Love them.
Rebecca Minkoff sandals.
FOLLOW: Google+ | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest